The Eight articles of Impeachment fo the Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona
1. partiality and subservience in cases involving the Arroyo administration; from the time of his appointment as SC justice to this midnight chief justice apointment up to the present.(Sec 15, Article VII of Constitution).
It is also self-serving for the SC to decide that the midnight prohibition does not apply to the SC but to the executive department and other courts lower than SC!
2. Betrayal of public trust in failure to declare his SALN (Statement of Assets, liabilities, and Net worth; as required under Sec 17,Article X1 of the 1987 Constitution.
The latest news item is the the Prosecution Panel has asked the Senate to summon the Chief Justice and his family (wife and three children and a son-in-law) to shed light on numerous real properties listed in his name, some of which are not declared in his SALN, in violation of the anti-graft and corrupt practices act. See Philstar
3. issuance of flip-flopping DECISIONS IN FINAL AND EXECUTORY CASES;
Respondent violated the principle of the immutability of final judgments (“flip-flopping”) known to have been instigated through personal letters or ex-parte communications addressed to the Respondent:
League of Cities v. COMELEC case involving the creation of 16 new cities,
Navarro v. Ermita which involved the promotion of Dinagat Island from municipality to province,
FASAP v. Philippine Airlines, Inc., et al.
4. Issuance of the “status quo ante” order; against the House of Representatives in the case concerning the impeachment of Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez; blatanly disregarded the principle of separation of powers by issuing a “STATUS QUO ANTE” ORDER AGAINST THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES IN THE CASE CONCERNING THE IMPEACHMENT OF THEN OMBUDSMAN MERCEDITAS NAVARRO-GUTIERREZ.
5.decision in favor of gerrymandering in the cases involving 16 newly-created cities, and the promotion of Dinagat Island into a province;displaying wanton arbitrariness and partiality in consistently disregarding the principle RES JUDICATA and in deciding in favor of gerry-mandering in cases involving the 16 newly-created-cities, and the promotion of Dinagat Island into a province.
6. creating an ethics committee to look into the plagiarism case against SC Justice Mariano del Castillo, which eventually cleared him; arrogating unto himself and to a committee he created the authority and jurisdiction to improperly investigate an alleged erring memeber of the Supereme court for the purpose of exculpating him. Such Authority And Jurisdiction Is Properly Reposed By The Constitution In the House of Representatives via Impeachment (involving Asoociate Justice Mariano del Castillo)
7. granting a TRO Temporary Restraining Order in favor of former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and her husband JOSE MIGUEL ARROYO ;
in order to give them an opportunity to escape prosecution and to frustrate the ends of Justice and in distorting the Supereme Court decision
of the effectivity of the TRO in view of the clear failure to comply with the conditions of the of the SC's own TRO!
8. failure and refusal to account for the Judicial Development Fund (JDF) and special allowance for the judiciary collections; commited graft and corruption when he refused to account for the JDF and special allowance for the Juiciacy collections; In particular, the annual audit report of the Supreme Court of the Philippines contained the observation that unremitted funds to the Bureau of Treasury amounted to P5.38 Billion with the Special allowance for Judiciary along with the General Fund, Judiciary Development Fund in the amount of P559.5 Million were misstated resulting from delayed and/or non-preparation of bank reconciliation statements and non-recording /uncorrected reconciling items.
Impeachment Trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona will start on January 16.Abangan!
Click on the following legal terms for more information.
Res Judicata- already judged
Satus Quo Ante Order- the way things were before
TRO - Temporary Restraining Order or injunction.
Click for a timeline of the trial.